- Changed non-venv-info warnings and notices from
pipx listto print to stderr. This especially prevents
pipx list --jsonfrom printing invalid json to stdout. (#680)
- Fixed bug that could cause uninstall on Windows with injected packages to uninstall too many apps from the local binary directory. (#679)
- Fixed bug #670 where uninstalling a venv could erroneously uninstall other apps from the local binary directory. (#672)
pipx listto output rich json-metadata for all venvs.
- Ensured log files are utf-8 encoded to preven Unicode encoding errors from occurring with emojis. (#646)
- Fixed issue which made pipx incorrectly list apps as part of a venv when they were not installed by pipx. (#650)
- Fixed old regression that would prevent pipx uninstall from cleaning up linked binaries if the venv was old and did not have pipx metadata. (#651)
- Fixed bugs with suffixed-venvs on Windows. Now properly summarizes install, and actually uninstalls associated binaries for suffixed-venvs. (#653)
- Changed venv minimum python version to 3.6, removing python 3.5 which is End of Life. (#666)
- Introduce the
pipx.runentry point group as an alternative way to declare an application for
- Fix cursor show/hide to work with older versions of Windows. (#610)
- Support text colors on Windows. (#612)
- Better platform unicode detection to avoid errors and allow showing emojis when possible. (#614)
- Don't emit show cursor or hide cursor codes if STDERR is not a tty. (#620)
- Sped up
- pip errors no longer stream to the shell when pip fails during a pipx install. pip's output is now saved to a log file. In the shell, pipx will tell you the location of the log file and attempt to summarize why pip failed. (#625)
reinstall-all, fixed bug where missing python executable would cause error. (#634)
- Fix regression which prevented pipx from working with pythonloc (and
- New venv inspection! The code that pipx uses to examine and determine metadata in an installed venv has been made faster, better, and more reliable. It now uses modern python libraries like
importlib.metadatato examine installed venvs. It also now properly handles installed package extras. In addition, some problems pipx has had with certain characters (like periods) in package names should be remedied.
- Added reinstall command for reinstalling a single venv.
pipx runon non-Windows systems to actually replace pipx process with the app process instead of running it as a subprocess. (Now using python's
- [bugfix] Fixed bug with reinstall-all command when package have been installed using a specifier. Now the initial specifier is used.
- [bugfix] Override display of
PIPX_DEFAULT_PYTHONvalue when generating web documentation for
- [bugfix] Wrap help documentation for environment variables.
- [bugfix] Fixed uninstall crash that could happen on Windows for certain packages
- [feature] Venv package name arguments now do not have to match exactly as pipx has them stored, but can be specified in any python-package-name-equivalent way. (i.e. case does not matter, and
_characters are interchangeable.)
- [change] Venvs with a suffix: A suffix can contain any characters, but for purposes of uniqueness, python package name rules apply--upper- and lower-case letters are equivalent, and any number of
_characters in a row are equivalent. (e.g. if you have a suffixed venv
pylint_1.0Ayou could not add another suffixed venv called
pylint--1-0a, as it would not be a unique name.)
- [implementation detail] Pipx shared libraries (providing pip, setuptools, wheel to pipx) are no longer installed using pip arguments taken from the last regular pipx install. If you need to apply pip arguments to pipx's use of pip for its internal shared libraries, use PIP_* environment variables.
- [feature] Autocomplete for venv names is no longer restricted to an exact match to the literal venv name, but will autocomplete any logically-similar python package name (i.e. case does not matter, and
_characters are all equivalent.)
- pipx now reinstalls its internal shared libraries when the user executes
- Made sure shell exit codes from every pipx command are correct. In the past some (like from
pipx upgrade) were wrong. The exit code from
pipx runpipis now the exit code from the
pipcommand run. The exit code from
pipx listwill be 1 if one or more venvs have problems that need to be addressed.
- pipx now writes a log file for each pipx command executed to
~/.local/pipx/logs. pipx keeps the most recent 10 logs and deletes others.
pipx upgrade-allnow have a
--upgrade-injectedoption which directs pipx to also upgrade injected packages.
pipx listnow detects, identifies, and suggests a remedy for venvs with old-internal data (internal venv names) that need to be updated.
- Added a "Troubleshooting" page to the pipx web documentation for common problems pipx users may encounter.
- pipx error, warning, and other messages now word-wrap so words are not split across lines. Their appearance is also now more consistent.
- [docs] Update license
- [docs] Display a more idiomatic command for registering completions on fish.
- [bugfix] Fixed regression in list, inject, upgrade, reinstall-all commands when suffixed packages are used.
- [bugfix] Do not reset package url during upgrade when main package is
- Updated help text to show description for
- Added support for user-defined default python interpreter via new
PIPX_DEFAULT_PYTHON. Helpful for use with pyenv among other uses.
- [bugfix] Fixed bug where extras were ignored with a PEP 508 package specification with a URL.
- [bugfix] Fixed regression of 0.15.5.0 which erroneously made installing from a local path with package extras not possible.
- pipx now parses package specification before install. It removes (with warning) the
--editableinstall option for any package specification that is not a local path. It also removes (with warning) any environment markers.
- Disabled animation when we cannot determine terminal size or if the number of columns is too small. (Fixes #444)
- [feature] Version of each injected package is now listed after name for
pipx list --include-injected
- Change metadata recorded from version-specified install to allow upgrades in future. Adds pipx dependency on
- [bugfix] Prevent python error in case where package has no pipx metadata and advise user how to fix.
ensurepathnow also ensures that pip user binary path containing pipx itself is in user's PATH if pipx was installed using
pip install --user.
- [bugfix] For
pipx install, fixed failure to install if user has
user=truein pip.conf. (#110)
- [bugfix] Requiring userpath v1.4.1 or later so ensure Windows bug is fixed for
- [feature] log pipx version (#423)
installto allow multiple versions of same tool to be installed (#445)
- [feature] pipx can now be used with the Windows embeddable Python distribution
listnow has a new option
--include-injectedto show the injected packages in the main apps
- [bugfix] Fixed bug that can cause crash when installing an app
- [bugfix] Workaround multiprocessing issues on certain platforms (#229)
- [feature] Use symlinks on Windows when symlinks are available
- [bugfix] Improved error reporting during venv metadata inspection.
- [bugfix] Fixed incompatibility with pypy as venv interpreter (#372).
- [bugfix] Replaced implicit dependency on setuptools with an explicit dependency on packaging (#339).
- [bugfix] Continue reinstalling packages after failure
- [bugfix] Hide cursor while pipx runs
- [feature] Add environment variable
USE_EMOJIto allow enabling/disabling emojis (#376)
- [refactor] Moved all commands to separate files within the commands module (#255).
- [bugfix] Ignore system shared libraries when installing shared libraries pip, wheel, and setuptools. This also fixes an incompatibility with Debian/Ubuntu's version of pip (#386).
- [bugfix] On Windows, pipx now lists correct Windows apps (#217)
- [bugfix] Fixed a
pipx installbug causing incorrect python binary to be used when using the optional --python argument in certain situations, such as running pipx from a Framework python on macOS and specifying a non-Framework python.
- [bugfix] Fix recursive search of dependencies' apps so no apps are missed.
upgrade-allnow skips editable packages, because pip disallows upgrading editable packages.
- [bugfix] fix regression that caused installing with --editable flag to fail package name determination.
- Add Python 3.8 to PyPI classifier and travis test matrix
- [feature] auto-upgrade shared libraries, including pip, if older than one month. Hide all pip warnings that a new version is available. (#264)
- [bugfix] pass pip arguments to pip when determining package name (#320)
Upgrade instructions: When upgrading to 0.15.0.0 or above from a pre-0.15.0.0 version, you must re-install all packages to take advantage of the new persistent pipx metadata files introduced in this release. These metadata files store pip specification values, injected packages, any custom pip arguments, and more in each main package's venv. You can do this by running
pipx reinstall-all or
pipx uninstall-all, then reinstalling manually.
installnow has no
--specoption. You may specify any valid pip specification for
install's main argument.
injectwill now accept pip specifications for dependency arguments
- Metadata is now stored for each application installed, including install options like
--spec, and injected packages. This information allows upgrade, upgrade-all and reinstall-all to work properly even with non-pypi installed packages. (#222)
--include-depswere removed. Pipx now uses the original options used to install each application instead. (#222)
--pip-argswere removed. Pipx now uses the original options used to install each application instead. (#222)
--pip-argswere removed. Pipx now uses the original options used to install each application instead. (#222)
- Handle missing interpreters more gracefully (#146)
reinstall-allto use system python by default for apps. Now use
--pythonoption to specify a different python version.
- Remove the PYTHONPATH environment variable when executing any command to prevent conflicts between pipx dependencies and package dependencies when pipx is installed via homebrew. Homebrew can use PYTHONPATH manipulation instead of virtual environments. (#233)
- Add printed summary after successful call to
- Support associating apps with Python 3.5
- Improvements to animation status text
- Use threads on OS's without support for semaphores
- Stricter parsing when passing
--argument as delimiter
- Speed up operations by using shared venv for
wheel. You can see more detail in the 'how pipx works' section of the documentation. (#164, @pfmoore)
- Breaking change: for the
- Change all terminology from
- Improve argument parsing for
--forceis passed, remove existing files in PIPX_BIN_DIR
- Move animation to start of line, hide cursor when animating
- Fix regression when installing a package that doesn't have any entry points
- Remove unnecessary and sometimes incorrect check after
- Make status text/animation reliably disappear before continuing
- Update animation symbols
- Remove virtual environment if installation did not complete. For example, if it was interrupted by ctrl+c or if an exception occurred for any reason. (#193)
- Add shell autocompletions. Also add
pipx completionscommand to print instructions on how to add pipx completions to your shell.
userpathinternally instead of instructing users to run the
- Improve detection of PIPX_BIN_DIR not being on PATH
- Improve error message when an existing symlink exists in PIPX_BIN_DIR and points to the wrong location
- Improve handling of unexpected files in PIPX_HOME (@uranusjr)
- swap out of order logic in order to correctly recommend --include-deps (@joshuarli)
- [dev] Migrate from tox to nox
- Do not raise bare exception if no binaries found (#150)
- Update pipsi migration script
userpath append ~/.local/bin
- Support redirects and proxies when downloading python files (i.e.
pipx run http://url/file.py)
- Use tox for document generation and CI testing (CI tests are now functional rather than static tests on style and formatting!)
- Use mkdocs for documentation
- Change default cache duration for
pipx runfrom 2 to 14 days
- Fix upgrade-all and reinstall-all regression
runpipcommand to run arbitrary pip commands in pipx-managed virtual environments
- Do not raise error when running
pipx install PACKAGEand the package has already been installed by pipx (#125). This is the cause of the major version change from 0.12 to 0.13.
reinstall-allcommands, to let the user skip particular packages
- Update logic in determining a package's binaries during installation. This removes spurious binaries from the installation. (#104)
- Improve compatibility with Debian distributions by using
- Fix infinite recursion error when installing package such as
- Fix windows type errors (#96, #98)
- Fix "WindowsPath is not iterable" bug
--include-depsargument to include binaries of dependent packages when installing with pipx. This improves compatibility with packages that depend on other installed packages, such as
- Speed up
pipx listoutput (by running multiple processes in parallel) and by collecting all metadata in a single subprocess call
- More aggressive cache directory removal when
--no-cacheis passed to
- [dev] Move inline text passed to subprocess calls to their own files to enable autoformatting, linting, unit testing
- Add support for PEP 582's
pipx run BINARYwill first search in
__pypackages__for binary, then fallback to installing from PyPI.
pipx run --pypackages BINARYwill raise an error if the binary is not found in
- Fix regression when installing with
- [dev] improve unit tests
- Cache and reuse temporary Virtual Environments created with
- Update binary discovery logic to find "scripts" like awscli (#91)
--pip-argsto the pip upgrade command (previously the args were forwarded to install/upgrade commands for packages) (#77)
- When using environment variable PIPX_HOME, Virtual Environments will now be created at
$PIPX_HOME/venvsrather than at
- [dev] refactor into multiple files, add more unit tests
- Fix parsing bug in pipx run
- list python2 as supported language so that pip installs with python2 will no longer install the pipx on PyPI from the original pipx owner. Running pipx with python2 will fail, but at least it will not be as confusing as running the pipx package from the original owner.
- forward arguments to run command correctly #90
- stop using unverified context #89
- Change installation instructions to use
- add version argument parsing back in (fixes regression)
- add version check, command check, fix printed version update installation instructions
pipx run BINARYto run a binary in an ephemeral environment. This is a breaking API change so the major version has been incremented. (Issue #69)
- upgrade pip when upgrading packages (Issue #72)
- support --system-site-packages flag (Issue #64)
- Fix version printed when
pipx --versionis run
- Add --index-url, --editable, and --pip-args flags
- Updated README with pipsi migration instructions
- Display python version in list
- Do not reinstall package if already installed (added
--forceflag to override)
- When upgrading all packages, print message only when package is updated
- Avoid accidental execution of pipx.main